In this workshop, you will learn how human behavior can help or hinder a dog’s ability to respond confidently and accurately during training sessions. The effects of motion, body position, hand signals and more will be explained and modeled in video examples of actual training classes and private lessons. You will be introduced to common pitfalls that clients can avoid, and learn how to help them decrease the use of derogatory labels (such as “stubborn”). Trainers will learn how to safely and politely greet dogs and how to walk students through this process; tips will also be given to help students build confidence in their shy, reluctant dogs. Effective use of reinforcement with food, toys and physical touch will be discussed.
- How human body language affects a dog’s reaction to you and your clients
- How to be polite vs. rude when approaching a dog
- How body position affects learning and performing
- How to help reluctant dogs warm up to you and your clients
- How to safely coach a client through dog/human introductions