What is consent, as it pertains to dog training? How do we teach our clients to both value consent, and fully embrace that there will be some no-choice moments for their dogs? Being very clear about which is which leads to more stable lives for pet dogs. Giving them choice makes them happy (we all like choice) and being clear about when they don’t have a choice avoids unnecessary conflict between dog and owner. Teach your clients to see consent, to give consent, and when to withhold consent, all leading to more peaceful and balanced lives between humans and dogs.
- Recognizing “yes” and “no” from pet dogs
- Simple choice moments that can enhance dogs’ lives
- Handling no-choice moments with grace
- The importance of never revoking consent once given
- Consent in training: what does it look like?
- Consent in life: specific examples